Manage Plugin 0.6.2 for monitoring networks, servers...

General discussion about Plugins for Cacti

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

MagicOneXXX
Cacti User

found issue

Post by MagicOneXXX »

I found out why nothing was coming up under the plugin installations: I had unzipped the manage 0.6 folder into the plugins directory, then copied over the files into the manage/ folder. Having the manage-0.6/ folder under plugins was causing conflicts. Removing that folder solved the problem.
chimpooooo
Cacti User

Post by chimpooooo »

YoMark

Thanks for your reply. Yes i have phpmyadmin. So the tables are made automatically when you install the manage plugin. I checked the auto incremement field for the id parameter which is shown below for manage_site. But even then i cannot add a site or group... :-?
Attachments
snap
snap
MWSnap008.JPG (52.34 KiB) Viewed 6594 times
gilles
Cacti User

Post by gilles »

chimpooooo, it's weird

normally,

Code: Select all

db_execute("INSERT INTO manage_sites ( id , name ) VALUES ('', '" . $_GET['name'] . "')");
should work

what is your cacti setup (os, mysql, php version...) ?

in manage_sites.php, try replacing the above code, near line 32 by this :

db_execute("INSERT INTO manage_sites ( id , name ) VALUES (NULL, '" . $_GET['name'] . "')");
but if it works, i'm afraid you need to modify other files and replace '' by NULL for each INSERT command

i can modify my code to handle this but you are the only one that report this error

EDIT : can you post your my.ini file ?
it seems maybe your mysql server is in strict mode
chimpooooo
Cacti User

Post by chimpooooo »

Code:
db_execute("INSERT INTO manage_sites ( id , name ) VALUES (NULL, '" . $_GET['name'] . "')");

THANKSS!!! I replaced it and it works like a charm!!! :D

Here are the details:

Cacti Version 0.8.7b
MYSQL Version 5.0.51
PHP Version 5.2.5

I was able to change it for sites and groups. But i tried to manage a device and it ran the following SQL query

SELECT count(id) FROM data_local where data_template_id = AND snmp_index = 23 AND host_id =11

Since data_local is not something i can edit i had to manually run the query through phpmyadmin with data_template_id = NULL
Attachments
my.ini.txt
(9.04 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
gilles
Cacti User

Post by gilles »

i think you're in strict mode
in my.ini, try put a # at start of line

sql-mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"
restart mysql and apache/iis
chimpooooo
Cacti User

Post by chimpooooo »

bulls eye gilles :D

That was it!!! Thanks for your patience and all your help!!

How come it wont let me manage "Data sources" ? Is there any other way i can monitor interface status..
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Gilles - Could you provide an explanation of the new reporting function in Manage 0.6 ? Does this mean that there is a seperate reporting facility to what is already included in terms of alert logging ?

Thanks
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
gilles
Cacti User

Post by gilles »

reporting is something which have been added between 2 betas

it can send you/others a daily report for all events
this is a report from the last 24h
(i didnt had time for week or month report)

let's say you have a test1.rpt file in cacti\plugins\manage\reports\daily :

22:10
the report will be sent each day of the week (not week-end), at 22h10
third line is the cacti user id (1 is admin in my cacti installation) but you can put an email address
fourth line is cacti device id you want a report (0 means all devices)

this is the message you will receive :

Daily Report from 2008/04/08 22:10 to 2008/04/09 22:10

Total events : 50 (DOWN events : 25, UP events : 25)

Events by hour :
Hours Total 
00      19                                <- this means event from 00h01 to 00h59
04      14 
08      11 
09      3                                  <- this means event from 09h01 to 09h59
23      3 

Events by host :
172.22.0.85 (Server XXXXX) : 40 events (DOWN events : 20, UP events : 20)
127.0.0.1 (Server YYYYYYY) : 10 events (DOWN events : 5, UP events : 5)
carloscesario

Monitor Ports

Post by carloscesario »

Hi guys,

I'm testing manage 0.6 with PA 2.1 and cacti-0.8.7b.

I get status from hosts... UP/DOWN and uptime, but I dont get "status from ports" ... eg.. 80, 25..

I need make one "special" config ? If I select ports in "combo box", when I save the "device" options when I back to this device.... the ports is selected as "none".

thanks

Carlos
cooldude919

Post by cooldude919 »

I am running .6 on a install of cactiez with an imported database from a windows install which i believe had manage .50 on it.

Everything is working, but when i enable manage my server load increase a lot, at least 2x or more. Is this normal? I have the poller set to cacti poller and the performance to 'Poller_output'. When i changed it to manage poller my load jumped up even higher, though it says the manage poller should be "faster".

After the normal polling session mysql seems to run for a good amount of time doing whatever "manage stuff". I checked to see what it was, and heres an example below.

51889, 'cactiuser', 'localhost', 'cacti', 'Query', 0, 'Sending data', 'SELECT * FROM data_input_data, data_template_data, data_template, data_local WHERE data_template.name like '%Running Process Info%' and data_input_data.data_input_field_id='13' and data_template_data.id=data_input_data.data_template_data_id and data_template.id=data_template_data.data_template_id AND data_local.id=data_template_data.local_data_id and data_local.host_id='2401''

56397, 'cactiuser', 'localhost', 'cacti', 'Query', 0, 'Sending data', 'SELECT * FROM data_input_data, data_template_data, data_template, data_local WHERE data_template.name like '%Running Process Info%' and data_input_data.data_input_field_id='13' and data_template_data.id=data_input_data.data_template_data_id and data_template.id=data_template_data.data_template_id AND data_local.id=data_template_data.local_data_id and data_local.host_id='461''

The host id keeps changing of course, so im guessing its doing this for each host. Is this normal? Please let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks
joez

Post by joez »

Ok, I have read tru the whole thread. But still there are a few things I dont understand.

First of all, WHAT IS THE MANAGE PLUGIN DOING EXACTLY? It is said to check services on hosts. As to my understanding, "checking services" is a whole bunch more than just pinging hosts on different ports. Wouldnt a real service check involve something like doing a http request on a web server to see if the answer is valid? Or something like sending a helo to a smtp server? Just pining ports is kinda half-assing...

Second, I installed the plugin and everything but I cant put a TCP template on a host. I select the template, click save, it tells me "Save sucessful" but the dropdownbox again shows "none".

I am using 0.6.

Thanks
blugger
Cacti User

Poller ...

Post by blugger »

When using "manage" it asks to use a poller.

Does this mean, that with "manage" I poll devices twice?

If this is the case, the performance of my cacti server will go down.

Can sombody explain, how "manage" interworks with cacti?

BR
Benjamin
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Re: Poller ...

Post by mcutting »

blugger wrote:When using "manage" it asks to use a poller.

Does this mean, that with "manage" I poll devices twice?

If this is the case, the performance of my cacti server will go down.

Can sombody explain, how "manage" interworks with cacti?

BR
Benjamin
Manage as a plugin has it's own set of pollers. These are seperate from CACTI, but are run at the same time as the main poller. I have been using MANAGE ever since it first came out, and have never had a problem with performance.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
blugger
Cacti User

Feedback...

Post by blugger »

The problem is the following ...

I have about 400 devices.

With cacti and manage, this means that 800 processes are handeled each poll intervall?
joez

Post by joez »

I would really like to hear other opinions on this plugin... see my post above.

As to my understanding checking services involves more then just pinging ports. More something like nagios is doing.

thanks
joez