Troubleshooting Spine 0.87a

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Brashquido
Cacti User

Troubleshooting Spine 0.87a

Post by Brashquido »

I'm using Cacti .87b on a Windows 2003 server with IIS6, PHP 5.2.5 (ISAPI), MySQL 5.0.45 and Spine 0.87a. To date I've been running exclusively SNMP based data queries without a problem, however recently I installed The MySQL Graph Collection - Version 2.0! templates to monitor MySQL which uses a PHP script to generate the values.

Ever since I installed these templates I get errors such as "SPINE: Poller[0] FATAL: Spine Encountered a Segmentation Fault (Spine thread)" or the poller simply times out. Looking at the server when the poller job runs I can see the poller window open and spawn the Spine process which completes its tasks in a few seconds, however after the Spine window closes the poller sits there spitting out a "waiting on 1/1 pollers" message until it times out and is terminated. It almost seems like the poller is not being told, or detecting that the Spine process is complete.

The weird thing is if I switch to using the cmd.php poller everything works perfectly, although it is quite slow (approx 30 sec to update 52 ds). My first thought was permissions, so I set my Cacti scheduled task as well as the user account for my Cacti website to run using an administrative account which had the same result. I'm about out of ideas and was wondering if anyone else had seen anything similar?
Dominic Ryan
www.iis-aid.com
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

I suggest you download/compile the latest version of Spine from the svn (or try and get TheWitness to do it). Many things have been fixed in the newer version, which will hopefully resolve your issue.
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

I had this self same issue a while back. Turned out to be the version of sh.exe that I had in the cygwin\bin directory. Replacing this for an updated version did the trick.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
Brashquido
Cacti User

Post by Brashquido »

Bummer :( . I was using the stand alone version of Spine (i.e, CygWin not installed). Tried installing CyGwin on my laptop and uploading the newer version of sh.exe, however that had no effect as Spine still terminates with a segmentation fault error.
Dominic Ryan
www.iis-aid.com
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Ok, but even with the standalone version of spine, you still need sh.exe and the cygwin dll's that are in the ZIP package ?
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
Brashquido
Cacti User

Post by Brashquido »

That is correct. The only two files I could find (going by filename) in my CygWin installation that are included with the Spine stand alone build were cygwin1.dll and sh.exe. I uploaded these to my server replacing the ones in the Spine install, but still had the same result.
Dominic Ryan
www.iis-aid.com
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Hmmm - what happens if you disable the poller, then run SPINE from the command line ? Set it to 1 poller only, then run.

If it's segfaulting, you'll get a good indication of where this happens.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
Brashquido
Cacti User

Post by Brashquido »

On the off chance, I don't suppose anyone has compiled a recent version of Spine that they could make available for download have they?
Dominic Ryan
www.iis-aid.com
Brashquido
Cacti User

Post by Brashquido »

I did run the spine manually last night;

spine --verbosity=5 <id> <id>

From memory it was seg faulting at the same position, but I'll have to double check. I can say with 100% certaintly though is that it is only when using this MySQL PHP script in conjunction with SPine that I get the seg fault errors.
Dominic Ryan
www.iis-aid.com
patrick

Post by patrick »

Hello,

I had the same issue. Spine runs fine on Windows XP but not Windows 2003 EE SP1....sort of:

If I run:

shell> spine.exe

I get:

Code: Select all

SPINE: Using spine config file [spine.conf]
SPINE: Version 0.8.7a starting
05/20/2008 01:02:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] FATAL: Spine Encountered a Segmentation Fault (Spine thread)
Yet when I run it:

shell> spine --verbosity=5

It seems to run just fine:

Code: Select all

SPINE: Using spine config file [spine.conf]
05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL:'SELECT value FROM settings WHERE name = 'path_webroot''
05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] DEBUG: SQL:'SELECT value FROM settings WHERE name = 'path_cactilog''
05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] DEBUG: The path_php_server variable is e:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/cacti/script_server.php
:
:
05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] DEBUG: Allocated Variable Memory Freed

05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] SPINE: Net-SNMP API Shutdown Completed
05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] DEBUG: MYSQL Free & Close Completed
05/20/2008 12:58:01 PM - SPINE: Poller[0] Time: 0.2190 s, Threads: 1, Hosts: 2
Anyone seen that before?

Thanks!
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

1) Download spine 0.8.7b from the forum, it might have fixed your problem.
2) Do you have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll or sh.exe on your system? If so, then you likely have cygwin version mismatch issues (upgrade rrdtool to 1.2.26 or better to eliminate the cygwin dependency).
3) If you're feeling brave, could compile the latest spine from the svn.
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Another thing you could try is changin sh.exe for a lower version. Spine used to work fine on my test XP box, but when I inherited a 2000 server to put Cacti on, it segfaulted all over the place.

Changing sh.exe for a lower version cured my issue.

Hope this helps.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
patrick

Post by patrick »

1) Download spine 0.8.7b from the forum, it might have fixed your problem.
OK. I must be thick today. There is a spine 0.8.7b? Where can I get this?
2) Do you have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll or sh.exe on your system? If so, then you likely have cygwin version mismatch issues (upgrade rrdtool to 1.2.26 or better to eliminate the cygwin dependency).
No.

RRDTool -> V1.2.27

THanks!
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

patrick wrote:OK. I must be thick today. There is a spine 0.8.7b? Where can I get this?
Unofficially posted in a few threads on the forum, which I can't seem to find atm.

One can bug TheWitness to get it released since its been sat on for quite a while.
westsyde

Post by westsyde »

I have ran into the same segmentation fault error when trying to switch from cmd.php to spine - BSOD I am wondering if you ever found the 0.8.7b version?

I did try searching the forums with no success.