Cool zoom/history feature for cacti :)

Addons for Cacti and discussion about those addons

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Bisonlux
Cacti User

Post by Bisonlux »

The basic of RRDTool:
Size of an RRDTool database is determined at creation time.
More infos ...
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webto ... nners.html
bulek
Cacti Pro User

Re: rrdtool resize...

Post by bulek »

Anonymous wrote:[...]
Is there a script out there? that can automate doing alot of resizing?
[...]
You automate resizing in this way:

Code: Select all

for file in *.rrd; rrdtool resize $file <some other options you want>; done
- Piotr
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

From the install.html
Resize the already created RRAs with the command rrdtool resize. See RRDtool documentation http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webto ... esize.html for more information. If you previously created rra with the Cacti default value (600), use the following command to resize them at 17280.

for f in `find . -name \*\.rrd`
do
rrdtool resize $f GROW 166800
done
#1 the size is incorrect, there's an extra 0

#2 it's missing an argument for which rra should be affected in the rrd I'm assuming this should be 0

And how do you specify the output file? Looking at the rrdtool document linked in the install doc, rrdtool resize results in an output of resized.rrd, which when using the script as shown all rrd files are appended into the single resized.rrd.[/i]
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

What would be the correct numbers for storing 6 months of data for each of daily, weekly, monthly. Did I get these correct? Or at least close?

daily 51840
weekly 8736
monthly 2160
yearly 797

What's a ballpark estimate for file sizes?

Post by Guest »

I corrected the documentation providing a new enhanced :) script. New release available at http://linkdown.org/download/cactistori ... .03.tar.gz.

51840 rows keeps 6 month of daily data. But I don't know if it's usefull to keep those data in weekly, monthly an yearly RRAs. You may first take a look at the rrdtool documentation to know how rra are used to graph.
monideth
Cacti User

Cacti 0.8.5 + Cactistoric-0.8.5-0.03

Post by monideth »

Hi,

I've just installed Cactistoric-0.8.5-0.03 - however, I am getting the following PHP error when I try to click on the zoom button of a graph:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /var/www/cacti/cactistoric.php on line 265

Since cactistoric.php only has 264 lines then I am puzzled. Searching internet seem to suggest a problem with matching of brackets/braces.

I have checked that all cactistoric files has same user:group as cacti (cactiuser:cactiuser).

I have updated a test RRA file to test using the script provided (does cactistoric need RRA files row values to be changed in order work?)

Please can somebody advise on what I need to do to get this working!

Regards,

Mon
Bruno Prigent
Cacti User

Post by Bruno Prigent »

Which version php, apache, distrib, rrdtool ... do you use ?
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

Bruno,

I managed resolve it by upgrading from RH8 to Fedora Core 1.

However, I suspect it is to do with the PHP version I was using.

Please see my other posting:

http://www.raxnet.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=3338

Regards,

Mon
fmangeant
Cacti Guru User

Post by fmangeant »

Hi Bruno

Cactistoric seems to be broken since yesterday (february, 29). Here's what I get in my access_log :

ERROR: start time: 'start' or 'end' MUST be followed by +|- offset
Edit : it seems to work if I change

$start_month = date("m");
to

$start_month = date("m", strtotime("-1 day"));
in cactistoric.php, around line 87.

I'm using Cacti 0.8.4 with Apache 2.0.48 / PHP 4.3.4

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Cheers,

Frédéric[/code]
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

2 questions:

Are cactid and cactistoric compatible with each other?

When the zoom page tries to graph, how does it decide which rra (daily, weekly, monthly) to pull the data from? Any reason to not just leave the weekly monthly and yearly as they are and just expand daily? Or does it not work that way?
Bruno Prigent
Cacti User

Post by Bruno Prigent »

cactid is the polling engine and cactistoric is just a zoom (in/out) utility so they do not have to be compatible. But they are compatible since I use them :)

I agree, the zoom link for weekly and yearly graph could be deleted. I keep it just in case of someone need it. To know which rra is choosen, take a look at rrdtool doc.

Post by Guest »

Hi Bruno

did you have time to look at the "1st day of the month" bug with Cactistoric ? :wink:

When I zoom on a graph on the first day of a month (like today, April 1st) Cactistoric selects from April, 31 to April, 1st and the graph is not displayed.

I've tried changing the code to :

$start_year = date("Y", strtotime("-1 day"));
$start_month = date("m", strtotime("-1 day"));
$start_day = date("d", strtotime("-1 day"));
It works, but I cannot choose February, for example (I get Jan, March, March, May, May).

BTW, I'm using Apache 2.0.49 / PHP 4.3.4 / MySQL 4.0.18

Thanks in advance.
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

Well, I read through the documentation at rrdtool's site, but I didn't see how it chooses which rra it will pull the data from. I'm assuming that it pulls from the 1st rra (daily) till not possible, then from rra 2 (weekly) etc.

Is this correct?
Lux
Cacti User

Post by Lux »

I'm having problems with the message board right now (my browser wants to download the raw PHP scripts) so please forgive me if this has already been posted.

Cactistoric seems to break the graph "list mode" functions of Cacti. I've tried this with Cacti 0.8.4, 0.8.5, and 0.8.5a using every available cactistoric version, and the problem seems to persist. (one caveat, I have not tried on a fresh install, so it could be a problem with my DB)

Basically when I try to select a few graphs to view list mode, Cacti displayes broken image for every graph. This doesn't occur when Cactistoric has not been installed.

Mike
Bruno Prigent
Cacti User

Post by Bruno Prigent »

Cactistoric-0.8.5-0.04 is released.
http://linkdown.org/download/cactistori ... .04.tar.gz
It corrects the 1st day of month bug and the list view mode bug.
It looks like Cactistoric-0.8.5-0.03 works with Cacti-0.8.5a so Cactistoric-0.8.5-0.04 to.