[INFO] Black graphs look better than white! :)

If you figure out how to do something interesting/cool in Cacti and want to share it with the community, please post your experience here.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

Interface skinning?

YES!
80%
No. You're high.
20%

Total votes: 146

Post by Guest »

raX wrote:I suppose I could create a new tab under "Cacti Settings" that allowed users to specify various global graph options such as color, background image, etc.

What do you think?
I was thinking the skinning functionality would be similar to phpBB, vBulletin, etc, although not nearly that configurable. This would be more for the public/guest account, although I would imagine most users just use the admin.
fmangeant
Cacti Guru User

Post by fmangeant »

raX wrote:I suppose I could create a new tab under "Cacti Settings" that allowed users to specify various global graph options such as color, background image, etc.

What do you think?
Hi Ian

a "user interface" tab would be great. Translation of the entire UI in different languages (I can translate it into french) would be awesome too :D

Regards,

Frédéric Mangeant
hednod

RE: configurable cacti skin/styles (edited)

Post by hednod »

I vote for having the entire interface, not just the skins, be themable in some manner or another.

I do not care for white backgrounds and so I had to painstakingly
edit many of the php files and stylesheets that came with cacti
in order to make the background color for everything back.

I have not finnished the proccess in it's entirely but most of it is
now completely differant looking, color-wise.

You can take a peak at http://www.probsd.net/noc/
login guest / pw guest

I don't look forward to re-editing all of these files again
every time a new version of cacti comes out, so having
the entire web interface for cacti be skin/themeable
in some way would be highly desirable.
Last edited by hednod on Thu May 13, 2004 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
egarnel
Cacti Pro User

skins

Post by egarnel »

Check out http://phpsysinfo.sourceforge.net/

It is a php based system info program. It is skinable via a pulldown menu which also sets a cookie that remembers the selected skin.

I suck at php coding....well, pretty much any kind of coding, but from looking at the source, it calls the "skins" from a templates directory which contains subdirectories for each skin which then have the images, stylesheet and .tpl files for that skin.

The black backgound is nice in the browser, but not for printing or blackberry
Morgan
Cacti User

Re: Graph Skinning

Post by Morgan »

RandomWelshBloke wrote:Having a global graph option in Cacti Settings that can allow graphs to be skinned is a great idea. By default all graphs would confirn to this, however, it would be cool, if possible, to over-ride this in the graph template section for specific instances.

As well as skinning font / colour, a link to a backgroud image would be great (especialy to give clients that special feeling) :lol:

As an aside, adding functionality like this to make it simple for users to contribute (and show off) can only help the community spirit for this exellent app.
this would be awsome.
1 global appaearance policy, and the ability to set background colors etc on a per graph and per graph template.

i'd love that!
Morgan
Cacti User

Re: RE: configurable cacti skin/styles

Post by Morgan »

hednod wrote:
You can take a peak at http://www.probsd.net/noc/
login guest / pw guest
[/b]

that looks awsome :o

Post by Guest »

Yeah i agree totally with it.
Settings to customize graph....advices us the soonest possible raX when its ready ;) cause i need it :D
thks
Khan

Post by Khan »

While we're waiting for the "skinable" option in Cacti and while black graphs are cool looking, it's a little harsh viewing on a light grey background in the "Preview" window that I tend to use. So if any of you php hacks are reading this, where do I change the background colors for both the Tree View and the Preview View? My eyes will thank you :o
hednod

Editing of .php files

Post by hednod »

It's been a long time since I did all that editing. I did not document how I did it because it was so irritating just having to do it in the first place.

You can start by searching through all the .php files for "bgcolor", if I recall
correctly I had to do the most editing the /lib/ dir's .php files.

It's a time consuming proccess of trial and error, change the bg color entry in a file, save, reload the page, nope, undo the edit, save, goto next entry, repeat.
hednod

RE: hax0ring the colorscheme of the web interface

Post by hednod »

I've begun editing the .php files again and I have information on the locations of some of the colors. :o

Essentialy I find this out quickly by taking a screen shot of the part of the interface i want to change, and using the dropper tool in gimp (or photoshop if your in windows) to find the *exact* color.

I found that background colors for the tables in the tree view were "ffffff" and "f9f9f9" so I executed a "grep -R f9f9f9" in the main cacti dir.

The results follow:

lib/tree_view.php: form_alternate_row_color("f9f9f9", "ffffff", $i);

I found that to be in row # 471. (btw this file is from cacti 0.8.5a) These are the alternating background colors of the tables the graphs themselves are placed in.

also in this file, on line # 467 you will find the table color for the
"graph template" table. #a9b7cb is the color you may want to change.

print "<tr bgcolor='#a9b7cb'><td colspan='3' class='textHeaderDark'><strong>Graph Template:</strong> " . $graph_template["name"] . "</td></tr>";

Now that your tables have the colors you want, you'll notice the background of the page that the tables are contained in is obviously still white, this is easily edited in /include/main.css:

body {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
background-repeat: repeat-y;
}

You will find the colors for the "Tree: " table in the main.css as well in the include/config.php under:
$colors["header_panel"] = "6d88ad";

Now open up include/top_graph_header.php and find line # 153

<td valign="top" style="padding: 5px; border-right: #aaaaaa 1px olid;" bgcolor='#efefef' width='200'>

#efefef happens to be the color of the left pane of tree view (thank you again dropper tool in gimp/photoshop) and by changing that you will
have converted yet more of the tree view.

on lines #132 and #135 you will see more #efefef, but the is a background image on these lines linking a .gif which over-rides the background color. I did not care to edit the .gif's so i removed them from the lines and edited the background color to my liking.

and above those on line # 115 you'll find the background color for the area on the page just above that.

With just those few changes you already have a large portion of the work done. I think you should be able to figure your way around from there.
:wink:

(ps: if you make these changes I *highly* recommend writing down the
locations and steps you took to make these changes so that when you are
forced to over-write these php files to upgrade to the latest version you
don't go bonkers trying to find where all this stuff was in the first place)
hednod

#@$@#$@#$

Post by hednod »

If you are not using 0.8.5a then those instructions will be alot less helpfull. alot of things have changed now in 0.8.6b and re-colorizing my interface
was another huge hassle.

Why rax, why? you have configurable color settings in both your css files as well as your config.php, why do you still insist in populating other areas with actual color values so that I have to search through all your files just to change a few background and border colors.

:cry:
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

What a post. I will start diving into this tomrrow (Monday, November 15th). Going to go after templates and language specific coding. Also, I do like the host summary information code utilizing XML. That stuff rocks.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Oh,

Once I get the framework in place. Will need volunteers to develop Templates. Any takers?

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

!!Bump!!

Themes are implemented (alpha) in 0.8.7. Need some creative talent to start making the themes? Any interest??

TheWitness

hednod

Post by hednod »

I don't think my templates would be... all that popular, due to my taste in dark interfaces, but i'd be willing to give it a try, test it out and give feedback on how well it's working, if anything ends up missing, etc... so it can get into release quicker =)