Cacti on a Virtual Machine

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

luar

Cacti on a Virtual Machine

Post by luar »

Hello all,

We are wondering about installing cacti on a Virtual Machine. I've been searching for Operating System, memory, etc... requeriments, but I've found nothing about this issue in the documentation. :(

Do you have any idea about these requeriments?

Thank you in advance!!!!!
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

If you have a small installation, 1 to 20 devices, then a VM shouldn't be a problem. Where you run into problems is when you have a larger installation with a lot of RRDtool files. The update process of the RRDTool files requires a lot of Disk I/O. If you can't updated all the RRDTool files within the allowed polling interval (Default 5 Minutes) you will have issues.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
luar

Post by luar »

Thank you rony,

In fact, we'll have about 10 devices, so there shouldn't be any problem.

But, do you know the memory size I should assing to the Virtual Machine? Is there any size recommended?

Thank you again!!!!!!
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

10 devices, plus the OS... You might be able to pull off 384MB, but I would suggest minimum 512MB.
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
pshankland
Cacti User

Post by pshankland »

To be honest it will totally depend on what Virtual infrastructure you have. I only know from a VMware point of view but I have Cacti running on my laptop within VMware Workstation 6 and with 1 CPU, 512Mb, IDE Driver, I can easily monitor 10-15 devices.

However, I also manage a VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3 environment and because it is all connected to a Fibre Channel SAN I have no problems with Disk I/O. The virtual machine on VI3 is Windows 2000 Server, 1 CPU, 1024Mb, SCSI Driver.

Basically, I would suggest you would have no problems running Cacti within a production environment if you have a decent virtual server set-up. If you have some virtual software running on a 'normal' PC then keep the monitored devices <20.

Thanks.
rcaston
Cacti User

Post by rcaston »

pshankland wrote:To be honest it will totally depend on what Virtual infrastructure you have. I only know from a VMware point of view but I have Cacti running on my laptop within VMware Workstation 6 and with 1 CPU, 512Mb, IDE Driver, I can easily monitor 10-15 devices.
Cacti is mostly I/O and memory bound. I run Cacti inside of a VMWare ESX server, however, the cacti instance gets 24 gigs of ram, and writes to a 14 Drive 15k Speed (totals 1,200+ IOPS for write, 2,400+ for read) Fibre Channel SAN array.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Hey, throw enough hardware at it and it shouldn't matter..

It's all about cost/value.
rcaston
Cacti User

Post by rcaston »

rony wrote:Hey, throw enough hardware at it and it shouldn't matter..

It's all about cost/value.
In theory, but even that much hardware can fail when poorly written scripts are used.
Last edited by rcaston on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshankland
Cacti User

Post by pshankland »

rcaston wrote:Cacti is mostly I/O and memory bound. I run Cacti inside of a VMWare ESX server, however, the cacti instance gets 24 gigs of ram, and writes to a 14 Drive 15k Speed (totals 1,200+ IOPS for write, 2,400+ for read) Fibre Channel SAN array.
Is your Cacti installation really that big that you are using 24Gb of RAM and 14 x drives?

My production Cacti box runs within a VM but on a physical IBM xSeries 3650 server with 2 x Intel Xeon 5160's and 24Gb of RAM BUT I also have about 8-10 other production VM's on the same hardware. I am only managing about 50 devices but getting no slow down and the other servers (production Lotus Domino boxes among others) don't get affected by the Cacti server.
rcaston
Cacti User

Post by rcaston »

pshanklandIs wrote: your Cacti installation really that big that you are using 24Gb of RAM and 14 x drives?
I am attempting to poll 156,000 items (99.99% snmp) for 75,231 RRA/Data Sources.
Last edited by rcaston on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pshankland
Cacti User

Post by pshankland »

rcaston wrote:However, I am attempting to poll 156,000 items (99.99% snmp) for 75,231 RRA/Data Sources.
I would class that a BIG install ;)
jay
Cacti User

Post by jay »

That is one big mother!!!!!!

Luar take a look at my hardware/software and also polling statistics in my signature. There are 3 other VM's running on that hardware. There was 4 but one got removed. I'm fairly happy with the speed of my set up. I know it could be quicker by adding more RAM, faster disks etc etc but the words finance industry and tight as a ducks arse go hand in hand!!! ;o)

I would recommend taking a look at the following post as its gives you an indication of poller speeds and what hardware/software people are using. There also some pointers on how to improve performance.

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=6206

Jay
Cacti Version 0.8.7e, Spine 0.8.7e, Apache 2.2.15, Mysql 5.0.88, PHP 5.2.13, RRDTool 1.2.30, NET-SNMP 5.5
Quad Core AMD Opteron Processor 2384, 2.70Ghz, 2GB RAM , 1 CPU used
Windows Server 2003 (X64), VMWARE ESX
Plugins: Aggregate 0.75

SYSTEM STATS: Time:12.5140 Method:spine Processes:2 Threads:15 Hosts:400 HostsPerProcess:200 DataSources:2909 RRDsProcessed:1384
osde8info

Post by osde8info »