Feature Requests - Backups - Template Packaging

Anything that you think should be in Cacti.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

gatekeeper

Feature Requests - Backups - Template Packaging

Post by gatekeeper »

I was trolling through the feature requests and didnt seem to notice much on what i was thinking.

Backups - i know there are some plugins out there but the latest cactiEZ comes with a really handy webmin utility and it got me thinking why cant a default part of cacti in the config section be some sort of backup system. The simple solution would be a single click button that runs a preset Cron or something similar to backup the entire config in a common format(packages and tarballs all the configs into one file that you can save via the http page). This would then lend the option of having an import option to be able to import that config into another machine. This also gives the opportunity to have that backup being scheduled to ftp or something similar to another location so you have really good redundancy built in. I know these are features that can be implemented seperately in linux itself but with the combination of CactiEZ there is the ability to make a much more simple and easy to use interface.

Templates - Two ideas on templates
1. Template packaging - a large number of templates require the installation of scripts and so on to work. Since there seems to be a common use of scripts (eg. Perl) as the codebase would it be possible to make this all importable as one file or at least all through the GUI? Again to simplify the process.

2. Default Templates - The default templates off install is very basic and is there a reason that the specfic templates that exist today (I'm basing this on v0.8.7) are in there but no other templates are being added? I'm sure the arguments could go on all day about how some people don't use windows or netware and don't want those in the list as it is, however there may be people like me whom would like to see more in the list by default as im not a power linux user and the easier things are off the bat, the better. I understand that obviously these need to be maintained as sometimes versioning can break mibs and scripts so my thoughts on template packaging may be more suitable.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Template packaging is coming in 0.8.8.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

rony wrote:Template packaging is coming in 0.8.8.
Ahh great to hear, i was looking through stuff including the RFC to make sure i wasn't creating stupid questions. Is there a changelog or any form of pre-rlease/pre-planned additions for 0.8.8?
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

gatekeeper wrote:
rony wrote:Template packaging is coming in 0.8.8.
Ahh great to hear, i was looking through stuff including the RFC to make sure i wasn't creating stupid questions. Is there a changelog or any form of pre-rlease/pre-planned additions for 0.8.8?
It's "hidden" in the menu of the front page of www.cacti.net under Development Roadmap :-)
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

Hidden?

:o
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

rony wrote:Hidden?

:o
Well, at least the NEWS do not reflect changes to cacti.net like this "minor" one
Reinhard
lonecrow

Post by lonecrow »

I agree... the more I use cacti the more I'm beginning to love it and now even depend on it. It is no longer a toy box to play with. I can set up mysqldumps occassionaly and scp them on a cron nightly to another server but I'd like to see some way to preserve everything important such as users, their configs and access rights,

Some sort of major automated backup feature would be nice.
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

heh its funny to see a reply to this from so long ago.
I agree, either it being able to push off a full snapshot of the config and/or graphing data to say an ftp would be great.

I think the whole backup idea came from a situation where i was doing a major update of the box and was thinking how awesome it would be to hit a backup button and it presents me with a single file download (eg. cacti0.8.7b_backup.tar) and that's a full on snapshot of the system that could effectively be carried to a fresh install should all go pete tong.

I have since moved to an esx setup and run snapshots on the VM that cacti sits on and that is the biggest comfort factor ever to know i can revert to snapshots if all goes belly up.
streaker69
Cacti Pro User

Post by streaker69 »

[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7d
[b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.4
[b]Poller Type[/b] - Cactid v
[b]Server Info[/b] - Linux 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5
[b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
[b]PHP[/b] - 5.2.9
[b]MySQL[/b] - 5.0.45-log
[b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.3.0
[b]SNMP[/b] - 5.3.2.2
[b]Plugins[/b]PHP Network Managing v0.6.1, Global Plugin Settings v0.6,thold v0.4.1,XMLPort v0.3.5,CactiCam v0.1.5,NetTools v0.1.5,pollperf v0.32,RRD Cleaner v1.1,sqlqueries v0.2,superlinks v0.8,syslog v0.5.2,update v0.4,discovery v0.9,zond v0.34a,hostinfo v0.2,Bloom v0.6.5,mactrack v1.1,weathermap v0.96a,mobile v0.1
lonecrow

Post by lonecrow »

Snapshots? You talking about Xen?

I'm looking into that too.