0.8.6j stoppped graphing, updated to 0.8.7 still no go

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

buckwestern

0.8.6j stoppped graphing, updated to 0.8.7 still no go

Post by buckwestern »

last Thursday night, for no apparent reason, my cacti installation stopped graphing. it is still collecting data, but not displaying it.

I modified php.ini to increase memory limit to 1024M (from 128) but still no go, so I upgraded to 0.8.7.

there are some other little issues now, like not being able to compile spine and other things, but it still isn't graphing. I can run cmd.php interactively and it collects data fine. no SQL errors.

can anyone point me in a direction here?

thanks.
cflong

Post by cflong »

Are the timestamps on your .rrd files changing?
buckwestern

Post by buckwestern »

no they are not.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Code: Select all

select count(*) from poller_output
. If the number is real high, you may have to truncate your poller_output table to allow the graphs to resume. Then, increase you memory_limit in php.ini to something on the order of 256M.

Otherwise, run "php -q poller.php" from a command line as the poller use and see what happens. You can show us too.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
buckwestern

Post by buckwestern »

TheWitness wrote:

Code: Select all

select count(*) from poller_output
. If the number is real high, you may have to truncate your poller_output table to allow the graphs to resume. Then, increase you memory_limit in php.ini to something on the order of 256M.

Otherwise, run "php -q poller.php" from a command line as the poller use and see what happens. You can show us too.
how high is "real high" ?

+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 1747079 |
+----------+

# php -q poller.php
11/07/2007 07:11:46 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] DEBUG: Poller Int: '300', Cron Int: '300', Time Since Last: '67006', Max Runtime '298', Poller Runs: '1'
11/07/2007 07:11:46 AM - POLLER: Poller[0] WARNING: Cron is out of sync with the Poller Interval! The Poller Interval is '300' seconds, with a maximum of a '300' second Cron, but 67006 seconds have passed since the last poll!
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Ok, that is too high. First, there is a bug in 0.8.7. You have to edit the poller.php and set the cron_interval = 300; where the program attempts to set it, simply comment that out.

Second, disable your cron.

Third, please look in for cli/poller_empty_output.php. Please run that using the following syntax:

cd <path_cacti>/cli
php -q poller_empty_output.php

If that does not work simply do the following:

mysql cacti
> truncate poller_output;
> quit;

We will have a patch released on the 12th to address the cron warning.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
buckwestern

Post by buckwestern »

TheWitness wrote: If that does not work simply do the following:

mysql cacti
> quit;
I truncated the table and it started graphing again. now some of the devices are still not graphing although the rrd are getting updated. it seems to be just ignoring them. They show up in the devices and the SNMP conversation is working as I can see output data in the log file, but the graphs are not showing this output.

thanks for the help.
buckwestern

Post by buckwestern »

buckwestern wrote:now some of the devices are still not graphing although the rrd are getting updated. it seems to be just ignoring them. They show up in the devices and the SNMP conversation is working as I can see output data in the log file, but the graphs are not showing this output.
ok, I went to the devices screen and checked a device that wasn't graphing. all looked well, so I just saved and moved on. now it is graphing correctly.

interesting.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Yes, interesting. Did you update your spine to 0.8.7a?

TheWitness

buckwestern

Post by buckwestern »

TheWitness wrote:Yes, interesting. Did you update your spine to 0.8.7a?
it has done that before. can't find a pattern.

No. I have not been able to solve the compilation errors:

configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to http://bugs.cacti.net ##
checking for netinet/ip.h... yes
checking netinet/ip_icmp.h usability... no
checking netinet/ip_icmp.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip_icmp.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip_icmp.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip_icmp.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip_icmp.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip_icmp.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: netinet/ip_icmp.h: in the future, the compiler will take precedence
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to http://bugs.cacti.net ##
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

First attempt to edit configure.ac and edit out the checks for those libraries, then run "autoconf" followed by "./configure". If that does not get it, then you will have a little more work.

So, in that case, remove the two that are giving you problems from common.h, and then edit ping.h and remove the #ifdef __CYGWIN__ and it's corresponding #endif.

After that, recompile.

TheWitness

buckwestern

Post by buckwestern »

TheWitness wrote:First attempt to edit configure.ac and edit out the checks for those libraries, then run "autoconf" followed by "./configure". If that does not get it, then you will have a little more work.

So, in that case, remove the two that are giving you problems from common.h, and then edit ping.h and remove the #ifdef __CYGWIN__ and it's corresponding #endif.

After that, recompile.
still no go. I did all of the steps and it just won't go for me. FreeBSD 6.2

# make
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I./config -I/usr/local/include/net-snmp -I/usr/local/include/net-snmp/.. -I/usr/local/mysql/include -g -O2 -MT sql.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/sql.Tpo" -c -o sql.o sql.c; then mv -f ".deps/sql.Tpo" ".deps/sql.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/sql.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from spine.h:469,
from sql.c:35:
ping.h:85: error: field `ih_gwaddr' has incomplete type
ping.h:127: error: field `idi_ip' has incomplete type
In file included from spine.h:469,
from sql.c:35:
ping.h:143:2: #endif without #if
ping.h:153: warning: "struct sockaddr_in" declared inside parameter list
ping.h:153: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
*** Error code 1
Cage

Post by Cage »

TheWitness wrote:Ok, that is too high. First, there is a bug in 0.8.7. You have to edit the poller.php and set the cron_interval = 300; where the program attempts to set it, simply comment that out.

Third, please look in for cli/poller_empty_output.php. Please run that using the following syntax:

cd <path_cacti>/cli

mysql cacti
> quit;

TheWitness
I have this same issue, and I've followed what you said. su'd to cactiuser and ran the poller.. let's see if it works now.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Try the latest branch 0.8.7 of SVN.

TheWitness

Cage

Post by Cage »

Cage wrote:
TheWitness wrote:Ok, that is too high. First, there is a bug in 0.8.7. You have to edit the poller.php and set the cron_interval = 300; where the program attempts to set it, simply comment that out.

cd <path_cacti>/cli

mysql cacti
> quit;

TheWitness
I have this same issue, and I've followed what you said. su'd to cactiuser and ran the poller.. let's see if it works now.
Seems like it fixed it. Now it's graphing perfectly fine.