Weather via wxer.pl - Weather conditions

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Post by hipsterdoofus »

Would anyone be interested in working with me to resurrect this? I like the data that comes from wunderground - the weatherbug script is great but weatherbug does not update enough for my tastes. I have done some stuff on the script side, but the xml files would be nice to have some help on.
Jahegu

Post by Jahegu »

hello, i am interested in make it work again can someone help with it?

weatherbug don't have stations in my zone but underground have two. at now the script don't send me the wind chill and wind speed. Also i like to get the UV index wich is show in the web (i don't know if it is possible with the script)

(sorry for my english level)
hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Post by hipsterdoofus »

Jahegu wrote:hello, i am interested in make it work again can someone help with it?

weatherbug don't have stations in my zone but underground have two. at now the script don't send me the wind chill and wind speed. Also i like to get the UV index wich is show in the web (i don't know if it is possible with the script)

I'll post up the script and graph examples shortly - I accidentally killed some of my graphs, so I'll let them repopulate before i post them. I re-did this using the existing wxer.pl and based the graphs on some of the other weather graphs on here (didn't know how to do stuff from scratch) so I give props to those people - I just wanted a source that was more accurate and updated more frequently.
Jahegu

Post by Jahegu »

hipsterdoofus wrote:
Jahegu wrote:hello, i am interested in make it work again can someone help with it?

I'll post up the script and graph examples shortly - I accidentally killed some of my graphs, so I'll let them repopulate before i post them. I re-did this using the existing wxer.pl and based the graphs on some of the other weather graphs on here (didn't know how to do stuff from scratch) so I give props to those people - I just wanted a source that was more accurate and updated more frequently.
ok, then i will wait this update, thanks for your time
hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Post by hipsterdoofus »

Ok, here are my changes. I modified wxer.pl and have graphs based off of one of the other weather scripts (changed colors and such). I named this mywxer just to differentiate from wxer (I want the people who did all this from the beginning to have credit for sure!). I wouldn't mind graphing a few more items but thought that this is a good start.

Attachments
cacti_templates_myWxer.zip
5 graph templates and data template
(17.71 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
mywxer.pl.txt
take .txt off the end for this to work.
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 774 times
hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Post by hipsterdoofus »

On another note, if anyone was interested in helping me figure out how to do this, I'd like to map wind direction as well, but am not sure hot to do that, but that is a value returned from wunderground. Also, it would be cool to mark the sunrise/sunset every day, but i have NO idea how that would work as both graph sides would be times, and that just made my head hurt to think about it.
Jahegu

Post by Jahegu »

hipsterdoofus wrote:Ok, here are my changes. I modified wxer.pl and have graphs based off of one of the other weather scripts (changed colors and such). I named this mywxer just to differentiate from wxer (I want the people who did all this from the beginning to have credit for sure!). I wouldn't mind graphing a few more items but thought that this is a good start.

very good job, it works perfectly.

I really can't imaginate how to represent the wind direction, one posibility could be one graph with 4 lines, each one representate the wind speed for each cardinal point; for exemple, 100 km/h SE colud be representate with 100·sen 45º S and 100·sen 45º E, the problem should be the dificulty to calculate the speed in perl module.

another information that i like to have is the altitude of the tide or the precipitations, also the temperature sensation, but for this it wold be necesary get the information from more than one URL...

good job

(sorry for my english, i'm spanish)
zorrosam
Cacti User

help for modify scripts

Post by zorrosam »

Jahegu wrote:
hipsterdoofus wrote:Ok, here are my changes. I modified wxer.pl and have graphs based off of one of the other weather scripts (changed colors and such). I named this mywxer just to differentiate from wxer (I want the people who did all this from the beginning to have credit for sure!). I wouldn't mind graphing a few more items but thought that this is a good start.

very good job, it works perfectly.

I really can't imaginate how to represent the wind direction, one posibility could be one graph with 4 lines, each one representate the wind speed for each cardinal point; for exemple, 100 km/h SE colud be representate with 100·sen 45º S and 100·sen 45º E, the problem should be the dificulty to calculate the speed in perl module.

another information that i like to have is the altitude of the tide or the precipitations, also the temperature sensation, but for this it wold be necesary get the information from more than one URL...

good job

(sorry for my english, i'm spanish)
sorry,

in which way i can modify the script for obtain data in European System?

km/h for wind,°C for temp, Km for visibility .....

thanks

sam
hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Re: help for modify scripts

Post by hipsterdoofus »

zorrosam wrote: sorry,

in which way i can modify the script for obtain data in European System?

km/h for wind,°C for temp, Km for visibility .....

thanks

sam
Good question - the script returns the values in a generic format, so you just have to change what it is asking for in mywxer.pl.

in the script replace:
temperature_fahrenheit with temperature_celsius
dewpoint_fahrenheit with dewpoint_celsius
wind_milesperhour with wind_kilometersperhour
visibility_miles with visibility_kilometers

Hope that helps. Should be pretty straight forward.
terziyski
Cacti User

mywxel.pl via proxy

Post by terziyski »

When I add data source Mywxer, in cacti log shows:

ERROR: Empty result [New York]: 'perl C:/Inetpub/Wwwroot/cacti/scripts/mywxer.pl New York'

The script is working fine in command prompt.
All data and graph templates have been imported without problems.
Any suggestions ?
Cacti user
hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Post by hipsterdoofus »

Dunno - interesting that it says empty result - what happens when you use a zip code?
terziyski
Cacti User

Post by terziyski »

Because I am behind a http proxy, I had to add environmental variable:

set http_proxy=http://proxy.my.domain

when I start the script in a console, it is giving me back a normal result.

I have set the environmental variable from the Administrator account and everything works fine now.
Cacti user
szastan

Post by szastan »

Hello, sorry for digging out sucha dinosaur :) butI have a tiny problem with myqxer script. Every graph generates ok, data shows correctly, except temperature graph. When i run script from console I get:

Code: Select all

perl mywxer.pl epgd
Dewpoint:-16 Humidity:79 WindSpeed:9 Temp:-13 Visibility:4.0 Pressure:29.59
I changed temp to celsius, but when changing back to fahrenheit, same thing occurs.

Did anyone had common problem? Log says nothing.

thanks in advance
hipsterdoofus
Cacti User

Re: Weather via wxer.pl - Weather conditions

Post by hipsterdoofus »

Does anyone still use this? I like it but I think it could be updated if someone else is interested on working on it with me.
smiles
Cacti User

Re: Weather via wxer.pl - Weather conditions

Post by smiles »

Polling weather via weather underground using this script broke earlier this week. After debugging it appears there is a redirect to https now. I opted to modify the weather::underground perl module to support SSL to get it working again.. Anyone else still use this?