Smokeping

Addons for Cacti and discussion about those addons

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

turlockaviator

Smokeping

Post by turlockaviator »

I've searched and come across bits and pieces of information regarding Smokeping and Cacti (reference to using a template to display smokeping rrd graphs in Cacti).

Has anyone done a step-by-step guide on installing Smokeping on a host that already has Cacti\RRDTOOL installed? Are there any gotcha's in doing this? Unfortunately, Smokeping documentation doesn't seem to be as plentiful as Cacti.

Thanks in Advance...

:o
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

This has been discussed for a while but never solved _exactly_. Instead, please find the Advanced Ping Template in the Scripts and Templates forum; it's sticky. It will create a quite similar graph
Reinhard
turlockaviator

Still need Smokeping in the back end?

Post by turlockaviator »

Appreciate the info. I guess the question then is if I use the Advanced Ping Template, one can assume that Smokeping still needs to be installed somehow on the back end? And if this is the case, is Smokeping able to happily reside alongside Cacti using the already installed RRDTOOL?

Thanks a bunch for the help with this...
chrisgapske
Cacti User
Location: Pensacola, Fl - Padacuh, Ky-Alpena, MI-Gulf Shores,AL

Re: Still need Smokeping in the back end?

Post by chrisgapske »

No you do not need to install "smokeping.

http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

The templates used produce a very graph that looks very much like the smoke ping graph.

You will need to make a few changes to make this work scoure thru the sticky and about the last 5 pages will have all the answers you need.

Cacti will create its own ping packet and graph the stats.

turlockaviator wrote:Appreciate the info. I guess the question then is if I use the Advanced Ping Template, one can assume that Smokeping still needs to be installed somehow on the back end? And if this is the case, is Smokeping able to happily reside alongside Cacti using the already installed RRDTOOL?

Thanks a bunch for the help with this...