How to plot graph based on 95th Percentile, 5 min average?

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

yongsan

How to plot graph based on 95th Percentile, 5 min average?

Post by yongsan »

Hi,

I need to check if this is possible and how can it be done. By default the graphs are plotted daily, weekly, monthly(2 hour average) and yearly. I need to change the monthly graph from 2 hour average to 5 min average.

Can this be done? Please advice...

Thanks!
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

It can be done. See fisrt link of my signature and scroll down to the rrdtool chapter. The basics and a script are published there. But read carefully! In most cases you will get what you've asked for but not what you've wanted :wink:
Reinhard
yongsan

Post by yongsan »

Hi,

Thanks for your advice and I have also managed to find some old threads about this as well.

I have one very weird problem with my graph after plotting and it seems that it only happen on my weekly as well as monthly graph. Daily and Yearly is fine.

The "95th Percentile" word is gone and as well as the red line for both weekly and monthly. How can I get the wording as well as the red line drawn out?

Thanks!
Attachments
cacti1.JPG
cacti1.JPG (131.87 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
yongsan

Post by yongsan »

Hi,

2nd part of my printscreen... :lol:
Attachments
cacti2.JPG
cacti2.JPG (127.15 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

Oh, IMHO this is quite normal because your rrd is not yet filled.
The 95th percentile HRULE will exceed the graph high watermark. And when autoscaling, rrdtool does not take HRULEs into account.
As a workaround, you may try to switch autoscaling off. Or just wait ...
Reinhard
yongsan

Post by yongsan »

Hi,

Thanks once again for your help. I saw it now. By the way, I have set the following which I got from researching on different posting in the forums as well as reading the link that you provided (I find it abit hard to understand though :<)

Will this allow me to plot the monthly graph on 5min average?

Thanks once again!
Attachments
cacti3.JPG
cacti3.JPG (116.46 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
yongsan

Post by yongsan »

Hi,

Anyone?
gandalf
Developer

Post by gandalf »

yongsan wrote:... which I got from researching on different posting in the forums as well as reading the link that you provided (I find it abit hard to understand though :<)
Yes it's hard. But my answer will make it even harded, I fear (sigh!).
You've got the rra issue quite right to allow for zooming into graphs down to 5 min level for a very long period (26280 * 5 = appr. 3 months).
Unfortunately, the monthly graph will now try to print 31*24*12=8928 pixels although the graph will usually hold only 500 pixels.
RRDTool will now automatically "consolidate" those 8928 pixels depending on the default consolidation function, AVERAGE. Even though the "real" data is available in the file, it will be printed only if you buy a screen that provides 8928 pixels on the x-axis (never heard of such a screen).

Before getting angry, I will provide you with a better solution: In most cases, you required more "details" because you need the MAXIMUM of a data source and not only the AVERAGE.
So please add a new graph item to your graph template. It should refer to the very same data source, but instead of using AVERAGE, please specify MAXIMUM as a consolidation function for this graph item.
You will not notice any difference on "daily" graphs, but on "weekly", "monthly" and the like.
Personally, in those cases I use AREA for the AVERAGE and LINE1 for the MAXIMUM.

Hope, I made myself plain enough. If not, please ask
Reinhard