Cactid on Windows & Trending

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

USFJoseph

Cactid on Windows & Trending

Post by USFJoseph »

Hi all. I have two questions. First, what needs to be done to get cactid working on Windows (vs poller)? Can I simply setup a scheduled task to run cactid.exe instead of poller.php?

Also, how do I go about creating trending reports? Specifically for storage reports -- I'd like to trend out my storage for 3-6 months.

Thanks.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Re: Cactid on Windows & Trending

Post by BSOD2600 »

USFJoseph wrote:First, what needs to be done to get cactid working on Windows (vs poller)? Can I simply setup a scheduled task to run cactid.exe instead of poller.php?
Not exactly. Always leave the scheduled task running poller.php. In cacti's settings, change the poller from cmd.php to cactid. You also must configure cactid (edit the conf file).
USFJoseph wrote:Also, how do I go about creating trending reports? Specifically for storage reports -- I'd like to trend out my storage for 3-6 months.
Umm, created graphs for the various disk partitions yet?
USFJoseph

Re: Cactid on Windows & Trending

Post by USFJoseph »

BSOD2600 wrote:
USFJoseph wrote:First, what needs to be done to get cactid working on Windows (vs poller)? Can I simply setup a scheduled task to run cactid.exe instead of poller.php?
Not exactly. Always leave the scheduled task running poller.php. In cacti's settings, change the poller from cmd.php to cactid. You also must configure cactid (edit the conf file).
Thank you. Makes sense.
BSOD2600 wrote:
USFJoseph wrote:Also, how do I go about creating trending reports? Specifically for storage reports -- I'd like to trend out my storage for 3-6 months.
Umm, created graphs for the various disk partitions yet?
Yes, I have the graphs created and working.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Alright, so what exactly are you looking for? I don't believe rrdtool by itself can do trending of data.
USFJoseph

Post by USFJoseph »

BSOD2600 wrote:Alright, so what exactly are you looking for? I don't believe rrdtool by itself can do trending of data.
I was hoping that somehow I can have it put a trend line on the graph so based upon past data it can extrapolate a trend on storage. So for example I can look at 6 months out and see my Used Space exceeds my Total Space.

See "Filesystem utilization and Predicted Trends" on the rrdtool gallery page (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/gallery/index.en.html) for an example. I don't have any idea how I could implement that through cacti though...
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

"Trends are computed using the rrdtool Least Squares Line functions" cacti does not implement that functionality yet. I believe there is a way to hack it in though, just not sure offhand.
USFJoseph

Post by USFJoseph »

If you remember or find something on how to hack that in would you please let me know? Thanks.