Help me About W2K3 ..... "snmp error"

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

1) Try to snmpwalk FLAFILE01 locally and see if you get snmp data back
2) You've verified the snmp service has a public community and allowed hosts, right?
3) If #1 was successful, then there is obviously something (firewall / av / router) blocking snmp traffic to/from Cacti, which needs to be further investigated.
mentasm

Post by mentasm »

Thanks for the reply. I grabbed Openxtra snmp tools and was able to snmp walk locally.

Looking into it a bit further with netsh

Code: Select all

C:\>netsh firewall show state

Firewall status:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile                           = Standard
Operational mode                  = Disable
Exception mode                    = Enable
Multicast/broadcast response mode = Enable
Notification mode                 = Enable
Group policy version              = None
Remote admin mode                 = Disable

Ports currently open on all network interfaces:
Port   Protocol  Version  Program
-------------------------------------------------------------------
161    UDP       IPv4     (null)
which seems to indicate the firewall is diabled, and even if it was running the snmp port is explicitly allowed.

No additional firewall or AV software on the server. Pretty much a standard OS install with nothing much more that backup software installed. The other box I am having problems with is a freshly delivered server from dell, with basically zero config done on it straight out of the box.

Really starting to scratch my head
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Hmm, interesting. Alright, so since snmp apparently works locally (what did you snmpwalk, just curious), then we need to step further back. Is the Cacti server on a different subnet/vlan? Can a computer on the same subnet/vlan snmpwalk your 'broken' R2 server?
mentasm

Post by mentasm »

I used the following command:

C:\>snmpwalk -v 1 -c public localhost .1

I got pages of info back as you would expect.

The Server is plugged directly into a cisco managed switch along with all of our other servers and as many client PCs as fit. No VLANs or special port configs. This site sits on a single /24 (192.168.21.*). The 2nd R2 server is at our other site (192.168.22.*). Simple frame relay interconnect between the two.

Have also checked the network card config to make sure its not blocking snmp at a hardware level. All looks OK.

Cacti is running as a virtual appliance in a VM , but is on the same subnet as the local servers. Having no issues with non R2 servers

EDIT: I just tried snmpwalking the same box from my XP laptop, and it can successfully return results. I then ssh'd into cacti, and can now snmpwalk from there too, however from the web interface I still get "snmp error".

I guess the stuffing around with netsh mode disables fixed the problem.

Not sure on why cacti web interface isn't working, but I'm making progress.
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

Do you have the php_snmp extension for php enabled? Type: php -m from the command prompt to verify. It could be that the R2 servers for some reason aren't responding to the specific system update OID(s) that cacti is looking for, thus thinking its down. Here is a post about that: http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=6515

Any reason you haven't upgraded to SP2?