basic thold configuration

Support questions about the Threshold plugin

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

temak82
Cacti User

basic thold configuration

Post by temak82 »

Hello,

We have just installed thold and are getting ready to configure it. As far as email notifications go, from what it looks like there's only one place where this is done and that's under Settings part. Is it possible to have thold send out alerts only to the owners of the machines that have exceeded the preset threshold? Also, I read in the description that you can setup a "global" email address that will receive all notifications for all hosts, but I can't see it anywhere.

Right now it looks like every email I put there will get a notification, for any breach, which won't do. We only need it to send an alert to the concerned party.

Thank you
apperrault
Cacti User

Post by apperrault »

The email address you put on the settings page, is the "Global Email" address that is mentioned. Once you setup a Thold template, it will give you an area for additional email addresses. it will also allow you to tell that specific Thold weather or not to use the global email address as well as the specified ones. Then, after you apply that template to a machine, you can edit the individual thold that is created, and change it even more.

I hope that helps.

app
[b]Cacti Version[/b] - 0.8.7b
[b]Plugin Architecture[/b] - 2.2 Beta
[b]Poller Type[/b] - CMD.php
[b]Server Info[/b] - Linux 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp
[b]Web Server[/b] - Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
[b]PHP[/b] - 4.3.9
[b]MySQL[/b] - 4.1.22
[b]RRDTool[/b] - 1.2.23
[b]SNMP[/b] - 5.1.2
[b]Plugins[/b][list]Global Plugin Settings (settings - v0.5)
SuperLinks (superlinks - v0.72)
Host Info (hostinfo - v0.2)
Report Creator (reports - v0.3)
Update Checker (update - v0.4)
Realtime for Cacti (realtime - v0.35)
Cacti Log View (clog - v1.1)
RRD File Cleaner (rrdclean - v0.36)
Network Discovery (discovery - v0.9)
Uptime (uptime - v0.4)[/list]
temak82
Cacti User

Post by temak82 »

I see, thanks for the quick reply. I just got to that part and do see that. So, for each host I can actually put in a specific email that will be sent to them should they breach the threshold.

Thanks for your help
temak82
Cacti User

Post by temak82 »

To set the High threshold at 2000Gb of monthly transfer, do we just put 2000 into the field?

On a side note, for outbound, I have the following:

Data Source Item [traffic_out] - Current value: [54666.1395]

So, I take it that it's in total megs which would equal to 54gigs. Do I have that part correct?

Thanks for your help
temak82
Cacti User

Post by temak82 »

Have another question to go along with the above.

We only need to monitor the Total Bandwidth Monthly (not daily, weekly, etc..). Is this somehow possible to setup?

EDIT: Nevermind, we can go with daily, weekly or monthly. Still would like to know what the value in the Data Sources in the Threshold means:

Data Source Item [traffic_out] - Current value: [8802.6752] <--- the one right there. :)

thanks
temak82
Cacti User

Post by temak82 »

Nevermind, it seems that this value is in bytes although the graph is in bits. Not sure why that is.
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

temak82 wrote:Nevermind, it seems that this value is in bytes although the graph is in bits. Not sure why that is.
The graph may say bits, but the script is returning bytes to the graph, and it is changing them. thold works off the value from the script/oid.
ariemer

Thold Confusion

Post by ariemer »

Hey guys,

How do we know when Thold is going to start measuring the thresholds? For example if i want Thold to reset the thold and start monitoring each monday at 12am how would i go about this?

Thanks heaps.

Aaron.