Data not staying in poller_output table?

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

rhp

Data not staying in poller_output table?

Post by rhp »

I've been working on getting Cacti up and running for a little while now. I have almost everything working, but my graphs are showing nan for all of their values. When I run poller.php (which returns no errors and the rrdtool update statements run fine) and then do a "select count(*) from poller_output" I get a count of 0 as my result.

I ran poller.php by hand and manually ran one of the insert statements from cactid, which seemed to work. My graphs after that had data in them! However I added a new device, which is now showing nan for all its values, and my already existing (and working) graphs aren't updating anymore.

poller_output again has 0 records in it. Are there any ideas? I have checked to make sure my MySQL permissions are set up properly for the cacti user.

Thanks!

edit: I should mention I'm using Windows 2003 with the latest versions of PHP, MySQL, and Cacti.
rhp

Post by rhp »

Been doing some troubleshooting, here's what I've got so far:

Changed cactid to connect to MySQL as root (should eliminate any permissions issues) -- same result.

Ran cactid by hand and it went through the polling and dumped everything in to the table. At the end of the process, poller_output had 144 records still in it, so I'm guessing the problem is with whatever happens after cactid runs and poller.php takes over for the rrd updates. I ran poller.php and it dumped the table again, but it did update the graphs.
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

When the polling cycle is done, poller_output will have no data.

Check that the permissions are correct on your rrdtool files.

Also, if you are using cactid, make sure that the path it set correctly in your Cacti settings.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
malichidemonos
Cacti User

Post by malichidemonos »

I have the opposite problem... only 4 rrd files are staying in the poller_output file. It appears that the rrd files are getting the data but at the end it is not dumping the data. Any suggestions?

:::CORRECTION:::
Its not going to the rrd files but if you delete them it creates them.
rhp

Post by rhp »

rony wrote:When the polling cycle is done, poller_output will have no data.

Check that the permissions are correct on your rrdtool files.

Also, if you are using cactid, make sure that the path it set correctly in your Cacti settings.
Hmm, I saw in the documents for troubleshooting NaN that the poller_output table has a tendency to fill up, so I assumed that meant it should be keeping its data.

I guess there's another reason for seeing nan on all of my graphs then, but I'm not sure what it could be. All my .rrd files are getting updated when the process is run (I can see the timestamp change for each file in Windows as they are updated when poller.php is run) and the min/max values inside them look ok. There are a lot of entries like this when I do an rrdtool fetch average on them:
1183064700: nan
1183065000: nan
1183065300: nan
(etc)
rrdtool info on that file shows:
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cacti\rra>c:\rrdtool\rrdtool.exe info cla_main_5min_cpu_86.rrd
filename = "cla_main_5min_cpu_86.rrd"
rrd_version = "0003"
step = 300
last_update = 1183065135
ds[5min_cpu].type = "GAUGE"
ds[5min_cpu].minimal_heartbeat = 600
ds[5min_cpu].min = 0.0000000000e+00
ds[5min_cpu].max = 1.0000000000e+02
ds[5min_cpu].last_ds = "UNKN"
ds[5min_cpu].value = 5.3044375000e+01
ds[5min_cpu].unknown_sec = 125
rra[0].cf = "AVERAGE"
rra[0].rows = 600
rra[0].pdp_per_row = 1
rra[0].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[0].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 0
rra[7].cf = "MAX"
rra[7].rows = 797
rra[7].pdp_per_row = 288
rra[7].xff = 5.0000000000e-01
rra[7].cdp_prep[0].value = NaN
rra[7].cdp_prep[0].unknown_datapoints = 254
Any more clues from that information? This is frustrating because I have gotten the graphs to draw by manually tinkering with the poller_output table, but if I just add a new device thru Cacti it always shows nan, and my other devices stop updating.
malichidemonos
Cacti User

Post by malichidemonos »

i just got done with an issue like this. Check your php.ini file and see how much memory you are using. Mine was set to the default of 8mb... i raised it to 256mb.

"memory_limit = 256M"
rhp

Post by rhp »

It was set at 128M but I upped it to 256M anyway. Restarted IIS, no change :( Still getting nan for everything.