Upgrade to Ubuntu 7.04 - poller not working?

Post support questions that directly relate to Linux/Unix operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

monideth
Cacti User

Upgrade to Ubuntu 7.04 - poller not working?

Post by monideth »

All,

Sorry if this has already been discussed/answered - I couldn't find a solution when searching the forums.

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu 6.10 server to Ubuntu 7.04 - however, after the upgrade the Cacti polling does not seem to work.

I was using Cacti 0.8.6h (now upgraded to Cacti 0.8.6j but still same problems).

Below are my observations.

1. running poller.php (as root and cactiuser) manually does not get display any output. (when I perform this same test of a working Cacti server - Fedora Core 2 - I see the log output as expected). Is there a problem with poller.php and/or my php version (see hostinfo details below). When I change the poller type from cactid to cmd the same thing happens - no feedback/output when I run poller.php manually.

2. When I run the cactid process (cactid 0.8.6i) manually (as root and cactiuser) I see such errors:

WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result: ...

Searching the forums suggest some kind of SNMP ENUM error. But I could not work out how to resolve this.

Below is my hostinfo details (I also have the cacti plugin architecture installed - for php-weathermap and other plugins):
Cacti Version - 0.8.6j
Plugin Architecture - 1.1
Poller Type - Cactid v0.8.6i
Server Info - Linux 2.6.20-16-server
Web Server - Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.1
PHP - 5.2.1
PHP Extensions - zip, xmlwriter, libxml, xml, wddx, tokenizer, sysvshm, sysvsem, sysvmsg, session, SimpleXML, sockets, soap, SPL, shmop, standard, Reflection, posix, mime_magic, mbstring, json, iconv, hash, gettext, ftp, filter, exif, dom, dba, date, ctype, calendar, bz2, bcmath, zlib, pcre, openssl, xmlreader, apache2handler, mcrypt, imap, curl, gd, mysql, mysqli, odbc, PDO, pdo_mysql, PDO_ODBC, snmp, sybase_ct
MySQL - 5.0.38-Ubuntu_0ubuntu1-log
RRDTool - 1.2.15
SNMP - 5.2.3
Plugins
  • Device Monitoring (monitor - v0.7)
    PHP Network Weathermap (weathermap - v0.91)
    Update Checker (update - v0.3)
    Network Tools (tools - v0.2)
    FlowView (flowview - v0.3)
    Host Info (hostinfo - v0.1)
    Device Tracking (mactrack - v0.0.1b)
    Thresholds (thold - v0.3.1)
Please can somebody advise whether cacti is working on a Ubuntu 7.04 system (cacti cactid from source, not via apt installation).

Regards,

Mon
Last edited by monideth on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
'They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that?'
Monkey (2:2)
fmangeant
Cacti Guru User

Post by fmangeant »

Hi

could you try to switch to cmd.php instead of cactid ?
[size=84]
[color=green]HOWTOs[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15353]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Unix[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=26151]Install and configure the Net-SNMP agent for Windows[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=28175]Graph multiple servers using an SNMP proxy[/url][/list]
[color=green]Templates[/color] :
[list][*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=15412]Multiple CPU usage for Linux[/url]
[*][url=http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?p=125152]Memory & swap usage for Unix[/url][/list][/size]
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

fmangeant,

Yes - I tried that - I changed the cacti settings to use cmd.php but I get the same result when I run poller.php manually - not log outat all, even though log level has been set to MEDIUM, HIGH or DEBUG.

Regards,

Mon
'They'll be sorry. They'll be sorry if I die - except that I can't. Whatever you do it ends up raining. What's it all for? What's the point of it all? And if it hasn't got a point, what's the point of that?'
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

and before anyone asks - yes, I did clear/rebuild the poller cache =)

Mon
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

Hhhmm strange...

The cacti hostinfo plugin shows php version of 5.2.1:
Cacti Version - 0.8.6j
Plugin Architecture - 1.1
Poller Type - Cactid v0.8.6i
Server Info - Linux 2.6.20-16-server
Web Server - Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.1
PHP - 5.2.1
PHP Extensions - zip, xmlwriter, libxml, xml, wddx, tokenizer, sysvshm, sysvsem, sysvmsg, session, SimpleXML, sockets, soap, SPL, shmop, standard, Reflection, posix, mime_magic, mbstring, json, iconv, hash, gettext, ftp, filter, exif, dom, dba, date, ctype, calendar, bz2, bcmath, zlib, pcre, openssl, xmlreader, apache2handler, mcrypt, imap, curl, gd, mysql, mysqli, odbc, PDO, pdo_mysql, PDO_ODBC, snmp, sybase_ct
MySQL - 5.0.38-Ubuntu_0ubuntu1-log
RRDTool - 1.2.15
SNMP - 5.2.3
Plugins
  • Device Monitoring (monitor - v0.7)
    PHP Network Weathermap (weathermap - v0.91)
    Update Checker (update - v0.3)
    Network Tools (tools - v0.2)
    FlowView (flowview - v0.3)
    Host Info (hostinfo - v0.1)
    Device Tracking (mactrack - v0.0.1b)
    Thresholds (thold - v0.3.1)
However, when I check the version in the command console it shows as 4.4.2!:
# php -v
PHP 4.4.2-1.1 (cli) (built: Jun 20 2006 02:33:21)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

I assume this is the problem? Apache is using version 5 and poller.php (since it is run from cron) is using php version 4?

But how to fix it so that both apache and command line uses php version 5?!

Regards,

Mon
monideth
Cacti User

Post by monideth »

OK - I think I've sorted out the php version problem.

The apt package "php5" is only the php server side installation:

php5 - server-side, HTML-embedded scripting language (meta-package)

I need to install the "php5-cli" package:

php5-cli - command-line interpreter for the php5 scripting language

After I did this the command line php version is 5:
# php -v
PHP 5.2.1 (cli) (built: May 22 2007 19:05:44)
Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies
Now when I manually run poller.php I get the expected log outputs - hoorah!

However, I now still seem have the "WARNING: Result from SNMP not valid. Partial Result: ..." errors from cactid - but the graphs seem to be updating - double-plus hoorah!

Regards,

Mon