CACTID Issues - Windows [RESOLVED]

Post support questions that relate to the Windows 2003/2000/XP operating systems.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

mcutting
Cacti Guru User

CACTID Issues - Windows [RESOLVED]

Post by mcutting »

I am trying to get CACTID to work. I have downloaded the 0.8.6.i version (Cywin 1.5.21), and have this, along with the other required dll's (note, I have not installed Cygwin).

Sometimes, CACTID will work fine fine, giving a poll time of around 47 seconds (great !). However, most of the time, it will stall, and I see the process of SH.EXE hanging in task manager, taking 99% of the CPU. The poller then eventually times out.

The poller then promptly starts again, and I end up with a stack of cactid.exe processes running. I have also had to place the SH.EXE file in a directory on the root of C: called "Bin" otherwise the custom PERL and VBSCRIPTS I have will NOT work, despite the paths having "/" and not "\"

I'm pulling my hair out with this one ! Can anyone help ?

Thanks
Last edited by mcutting on Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
RRDTool Version RRDTool 1.4.7
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

cactid is a picky thing. It requires the full path for binaries if its executing any scripts (i.e. instead of simply perl.exe in the parameter line, you must specify c:\perl\bin\perl.exe). Are you running any scripts or is it purely snmp queries?

It's possible you're duplicate/different versions of sh.exe are a problem. Why not engineer the scripts to use the sh.exe from the system path or the one installed with cactid.exe.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

If you don't want full paths to binaries, use the SVN branch version. I have reverted that behavior. Also, if you want to run error free, read the readme on making it. Here are some brief instructions

1) Download net-snmp 5.1.x source. Don't go later than that, it won't compile on Windows
2) Compile net-snmp with the following options:

./configure --wihtout-agent --disable-mib-loading
make
make install

3) Download MySQL Unix Source (Not Windows)
4) Compile as following:

./configure --without-server
make
make install

5) Compile Cactid

./configure
make
make install

Please note, the full paths thing is no longer a requirement. It was a mistake.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Larry - Thanks for the info. Clearly, I need Cygwin to compile a new version of Cactid, but have some questions:

1. Do I need to compile cactid on the machine that will be running it ?
2. If the answer to the above is yes, do I need to uninstall the version of net-snmp I am already running ?
3. Is there (in SVN) a stable cactid.exe for Windows already compiled for use ?

I'd really like to have this working, but do not really want to install Cygwin on my live box if I don't have to. I tried to use the pre-compiled cactid from BSOD2600, but this exhibited the same behaviour:

sh.exe hangs at 99 percent cpu
The POPEN timed out error messages

SNMP polling with cactid works great (super fast) - it just seems to stumble on scripts. At this point, I have to use pskill to terminate the sh.exe process, and the zombie cactid.exe processes.

If I can compile it on another machine, this would make me happy. What other files do I need to copy over to the live box along with

cactid.exe
crypto dll
cygwin1.dll
sh.exe
cactid.conf

From other posts, I understand that a handful of files are needed.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

No.
No.
Yes.

Here is a compiled version against the latest SVN. But you will need a good cygwin install with cryptography installed as well to run it.

TheWitness

If you want to go cheap. The following Cygwin DLL's are required:
cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll
cygz.dll
cygwin1.dll
sh.exe
cygreadline6.dll
cygintl-8.dll
Attachments
cactid-086preJv2-cygwin-1.5.24-2.zip
(514.15 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the info + files. I installed Cygwin on our productive box, and have tested the CACTID poller. It worked well for a couple of runs, then got stuck on sh.exe at 99% again - I also had to kill off this process, and the tons of zombie cactid.exe processes.

I have managed to get down to 1 copy of sh.exe (in the Cygwin\Bin directory). All of my externmal scripts (mostly PERL) are running.

If I can get this hanging sh.exe sorted, then I will be done !

Thanks
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

UPDATE

Ok. I think I've cracked it. I ran CACTID in DEBUG with verbosity 5 on the hosts that were causing the issues. I found a PERL script that collects WMI data from Exchange. This runs like a rocket locally, but takes a while over a slow link to a remote site, and causes CACTID to fail.

I've removed this graph, and CACTID now seems to be stable. I also only have one instance of SH.exe, which is in the Cygwin\Bin directory. I know that there is only supposed to be one copy of Cygwin1.dll, but where does this live ? Cygwin\Bin, or the CACTID directory ?

Thanks
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

mcutting wrote: I know that there is only supposed to be one copy of Cygwin1.dll, but where does this live ? Cygwin\Bin, or the CACTID directory ?
Since you've got cygwin installed, it belongs in cygwin\bin\.
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Thanks. Looks like I've still got one host that runs a VBScript (written by me), which gives a POPEN timed out issue. I don't think it's the script, as it is very basic, and works fine with CACTID 99% of the time.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Just for the sheer fun of it, I decided to downgrade CACTID to version "g". Surprisingly, this runs like a rocket, and works first time every time !! It seems strange, but this also does not seem to require or call sh.exe ???

Another thing that is odd is that I don't have a full copy of Cygwin installed - just the basic (and I mean BASIC) dll files that are required for it to run.

Even my PERL and VBSCRIPTS are working, and the data is collected extremely quickly.

Thanks for everyone's help !
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

CACTID Issues- HELP! [SOLVED AND NOW UPDATED]

Post by mcutting »

Ok. I really wanted the latest and greatest version of CACTID, so I took the plunge, and compiled it myself, using the instructions from TheWitness in this post.

The end result is: so far so good...it's using sh.exe for scripts such as PERL and CSCRIPT etc. I have two processes, with 15 threads. A total of 47 hosts are completing in around 20-35 seconds (average), which is what I wanted and expected from CACTID.

I have not installed CYGWIN - I have simply created a tree structure on the C: drive for CYGWIN\BIN, and dumped these files below inside the BIN folder (note, that I had to create a directory under CYGWIN called "tmp", as CACTID complained it could not see this)

cygcrypto-0.9.8.dll
cygfreetype-6.dll
cygiconv-2.dll
cygintl-3.dll
cygintl-8.dll
cygncurses-8.dll
cygpng12.dll
cygreadline6.dll
cygwin1.dll
cygz.dll
sh.exe

Inside the CACTID directory are two files

cactid.conf
cactid.exe

Environment Variables are set as

C:\CYGWIN\BIN; has been appended to the SYSTEM PATH variable

MIBDIRS=C:\USR\SHARE\SNMP\MIBS (this directory is actually empty at the suggestion of TheWitness)

MIBS=ALL This has no real impact, as there are no MIBS to load anyway, and it stops the error messages from appearing in the poller when running from CLI

I installed CYGWIN on a spare machine, downloaded the NET-SNMP and MYSQL source, and compiled CACTID here. The required files were then transferred to the production CACTI box after testing on a development machine.

The poller has been running as a scheduled task for three hours now with no issues at all. I will leave this running for the weekend, and will keep a close eye on it. My only last question is:

The end result is that I am now using CACTID 0.8.6i (SVN build) as the poller.

Open Question : Why does the poller complete quicker when run from CLI as opposed to a Scheduled Task in Windows ???
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
BSOD2600
Cacti Moderator

Post by BSOD2600 »

What type of time differences are we talking about? Is the scheduled task user the same user as when you manually run it?
mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

Thanks for the reply. We are talking about 10 seconds at the worst, and about 5-6 at the best. The poller when run from CLI is being run under the same account as the scheduled task.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

You know that I've seen this before. And it had something to do with domain authentication. I never solved it, I was just more pissed off at Microsoft than ever before.

The way to isolate this at the protocol level is to use Wireshark and listen on the wire during a polling cycle. Then, save and analyze it. If you want, you can PM it to me.

Larry

mcutting
Cacti Guru User

Post by mcutting »

An interesting deviation: Over the weekend, the newly compiled version of cactid decided to hang on sh.exe - it actually did this 8 times.

On the 9th occasion, the shell completely froze on the box. I had to use pskill to terminate the running processes. Cactid run ok for a couple of hours after that. When I checked the box again this morning, the sh.exe process was again stuck at 99 percent, with about 18 cactid.exe processes trailing after it.

I will be rolling back to version G of the poller, as my new version is simply too unstable (which is a pity). Version G of cactid doesn't seem to need sh.exe, amd this seems to be the root of the problem.
Cacti Version 0.8.8b
Cacti OS Ubuntu LTS
Poller Information
Type SPINE 0.8.8b