plugin Architecture install problems in debian

Support for the Plugin Architecture

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

mikegoh

plugin Architecture install problems in debian

Post by mikegoh »

Dear all,

I have installed cacti from the default debian package and after I have installed, everything is working correctly. I have thus proceed to install the plugin architecture but encountered the below errors. I hope someone can help me. I have tried the method of overwritting the orginal files with the ones from the package but it does not work either.

mika:/usr/share/cacti/site# patch -p1 -N --dry-run < cacti-plugin-0.8.6i.diff
patching file auth_login.php
patching file data_sources.php
patching file graph_image.php
patching file graph.php
patching file graphs_new.php
patching file graphs.php
patching file host.php
patching file include/auth.php
patching file include/config_arrays.php
patching file include/config_form.php
patching file include/config.php
Hunk #1 succeeded at 28 with fuzz 2 (offset -4 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 63 (offset -4 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 77 (offset -4 lines).
Hunk #4 succeeded at 187 (offset -4 lines).
patching file include/config_settings.php
Hunk #1 succeeded at 929 (offset 1 line).
patching file include/plugins.php
patching file include/top_graph_header.php
patching file include/top_header.php
patching file index.php
patching file lib/api_device.php
patching file lib/functions.php
patching file lib/html_form.php
patching file lib/html.php
patching file lib/html_tree.php
patching file lib/poller.php
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
4 out of 4 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file lib/poller.php.rej
patching file lib/rrd.php
patching file lib/variables.php
patching file plugins/index.php
patching file poller.php
Hunk #2 FAILED at 168.
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file poller.php.rej
patching file user_admin.php
patching file utilities.php
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

I should probably post this in the install documentation, but please don't use the rpm for cacti if you are going to also install any patches. RPMs developers sometimes make their own changes that may be incompatible with any patch you might want to install. I do believe that upgrading the rpm install will also wipe out your changes.

If you're going to patch something, go ahead and start with your own base cacti install, that way you know exactly what you are getting, and that is what the patches are based off of.

Or if all else fails, use the pre-patched files.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The Debian install makes fairly significant changes to the default install of Cacti.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
arkade

Post by arkade »

I'm having the same problem. I followed this guide which seems to be for a standard install with nothing Debian specific. After applying the patch it seems like some paths are messed up as the initial page displays but without any CSS and any link clicked on results in a page not found. Anyone managed to install the plugin architecture on an apt installed version of Cacti?
Exo7
Cacti User

Post by Exo7 »

I did

I had to modify some files to get it working. From what I recall, you must edit include/config.php and replace the mysql login parameters at the beginning with

Code: Select all

$database_type = "mysql";
require('/etc/cacti/debian.php');
I think I also modified the path of the adodb library near line 155 to include("/usr/share/php/adodb/adodb.inc.php");
because Cacti in debian use the adodb shipped with Debian, and not the one shipped with Cacti.

There is also an include_once("./lib/html_tree.php"); needed in include/top_graph_header.php or a file which sound like that.
arkade

Post by arkade »

Thanks Exo7,
The first two changes you mentioned seem to already be in place and I'm not quite sure what to do with the 3rd. There are a bunch of .rej files scattered around the place so I think I might be pushing shit up hill. Looks like I'll have to go with the non-apt option which is a shame since it's one of the best parts of Debian.

Edit: It's probably worth noting that I'm using Debian 4.0
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

The Packager for Debian is pretty good at what he does. The problem is that we have not rolled the PIA into Cacti formaly and therefore, he is likely not going to incorporate. He might be convinced to write a package to do it though.

You should open a ticket on the Debian bug tracking site as a feature request. Donations will always provide incentive.

TheWitness
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
arkade

Post by arkade »

Looks like someone's beaten me to it -
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=406766

I'm not sure why he'd be reluctant to include the architecture as it would seem to provide a large chunk of functionality.
Exo7
Cacti User

Post by Exo7 »

I'm using Debian 4.0 too, with Cacti 0.8.6i-3 from Debian stable repository.

To make the Plugin Architecture work, I made a backup of the cacti directory and untarballed the architecture, then I modified the include/config.php and include/graph_tree.php (I verified what file it was, if you browse the cacti interface without this modification you will see a missing function at the top of the page)

I did not use the patched version of the Plugin Architecture.
Devroush

Post by Devroush »

TheWitness wrote:The Packager for Debian is pretty good at what he does. The problem is that we have not rolled the PIA into Cacti formaly and therefore, he is likely not going to incorporate. He might be convinced to write a package to do it though.

You should open a ticket on the Debian bug tracking site as a feature request. Donations will always provide incentive.

TheWitness
I would also like to see the plugin architecture in the debian release. I mailed the maintainer and he's not against it, but he wants to know what the main cacti developers think of this. From what I read here on the forums, the plugin architecture may be integrated in Cacti 0.9? However, I have no idea when this will be released. He also said that any help would be appreciated :)
You can view his response at the bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=406766
logre

Post by logre »

Hello, i had the same problem,

modify the include/config.php file resolv it a bit...

Now i can launch cacti with architecture plugin...
but the graphin' was stopped, but if i execute the poller.php manually it graph...

And it seem to get a missing function... But i dont find the include/graph_tree.php to modifie...

Any idea?
logre

Post by logre »

okay, my graph are graphin again.. but i always don't get the missing function at the top of the page, any idea?
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

What is the exact error?